Sunday, June 22, 2008

Connecting Commercial Dog Food and Dog Ear Infections

Recently I have been researching a connection between commercial dog foods and dog ear infections. I have changed my dogs food as he has an ear infection right now. It occurred to me that when he was on IAMS he never had ear infection and when I switched him to Pedigree his ear infections became chronic, at lest in his right ear .So I switched him back to IAMS and will post the results. I also plan to add yogurt to his meal twice a week Meanwhile , I stumbled on to a solution I have never tried . It is listed below. If anyone has experience with is home remedy for dog ear infections, let me know

16 oz. bottle Isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution
Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application).
Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently for 30 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Fill a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain. I use a eye dropper to fill the ear.
Treatment:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

3 comments:

Clare Marshall said...

Indeed, some commercial dog foods can really harm your dogs instead of helping take good care of their health. That is why it is recommended to try feeding them naturally or using raw foods. While some may not favor this, it has been tested by some dog lovers and had proven its worth. What you feed your dog depends upon your preferences but it's better to consider what your dog likes best without compromising its health. Being vigilant and observant to your dog's health could really help you iron out any problems that you may encounter in the future. Prevention is better than cure. Thanks for such an informative post. Hope to see you visit Dog Health Information. :D

Anonymous said...

Very true about commercial foods vs raw diets. If you have to go the commercial food path make sure the #1 ingredient is a meat though. It makes a HUGE difference in over all health and ear issues.
I've also been adding to my dogs diet a serving of Dinovite supplements. I heard the ad on the radio and dropped by the website. It fills in all the great vitamins and minerals keeping the immune system strong. Check them out at www.dinovite.com
I'm sooooooo glad I did!

Unknown said...

My poor little dog Bentley has a horrible ear infection. I want to help him get better, but the place I used to take him to is closed down. I heard of some other places that help dogs, maybe I can go there. http://www.swahjc.com/